Thursday, March 29, 2012

Fight


11 But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. (1 Timothy 6:11-12)

     Yesterday, I had to leave work early.  My sister was rushed to the hospital in a very critical state.  When I arrived at the hospital, I witnessed my sister fighting for her life.  Every breathe she took seemed like it could be her last.  As I consoled my mother, and wiped tears away, it was a feeling of hopelessness and a feeling of loss and despair.  I literally did not know what was going to happen and I did not know what this day would hold. 
     For those who do not know, my sister Dr. Velda Threatt was in an almost fatal car accident in 1994 in Roswell, Ga.  This accident left her with severe brain damage and was in a comma for months.  She truly never recovered from her injuries.  That brilliant mind was reduced to recognizing childhood songs and her family.  She never forgot her family.  Never again able to articulate a conversation. Never again to retain the relationships professionally or personally.  A lot was lost.
     When and if you ever visit Dr. Velda Threatt, you leave her with a sense of how strong her spirit is.  Once her eyes were able to focus on you, she would do a “shake in the bed” with a huge big smile.  Take in mind, she has lost the use of her hands and legs, is unable to feed her self, or express audibly  how she feels but can sing the fool out of “Yes Jesus Loves Me, “He got the whole world in his hands’ and  songs like that from her childhood.  The nurses at her Nursing Home where she lives would put her radio on and she will do a “shake in the bed” for you!  I’m not talking to Christian music, they put in on the blues station and she will boogie down her ”shake in the bed” till you have to make her stop.  A true amazing spirit!
     Yesterday, I witnessed someone fighting for every breath to the point that she was lifting her legs that she has not had any control over.  I saw someone “fight”.  The nurses gave her a sedative to settle her down.  She was not responsive until she heard my mother’s voice.  She let us know that she knew my mom was there.  Once she was sedated, they cleaned her up and said they are going to try and move her to intensive care.  The doctors and nurses asked the family to leave and they would prepare her to be moved.  My mom , aunt and her close friend waited outside while they moved her.  I decided to go across the street to get something to eat and we waited to see her again.
     When I came back to the hospital, my aunt came down to take me to Dr. Velda’s room.  I walked in and my mother says, let your sister know that you are here.  Before I could turn around to walk towards her bed, she gave me a small “shake in the bed” with a smile on her face.  All I can say was that was the best feeling to see her saying to us she is still here.  Her eyes never opened but her spirit said I am here. 
      I shared all of this because so many people are going through things right now.  Co- workers and friends are going through challenging times unlike anything they have ever experienced.  Just remember, to Fight the good fight of faith and continue to be strong.  God is with you and no matter what it looks like, God can do it.  He is still a healer!  God is still a peace giver!   God is love!   Blessings!

Brother Clarence
Author and Family Strategist

2 comments:

  1. Brother Clarence, thank you for sharing this story with us. It is always a blessing to hear of the mighty acts of the Lord. I know God is a healer and it's not over until he says it over.I'll be praying for you and your family that God will continue keeping your sister in the land of the living. You are truly a blessing to many people and God is using you in this day and time to empower men that needs guidance in different areas in life.Jesus love you and your whole family. Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you Patrice. I appreciate your Sprit. I want to encourage you to stay in faith. This scripture came to mind. Ephesians3:20 Expect God to do exceedingly abundantly above what you can ask or think. Meditate this scripture. God will perform HIS WORD FOR YOU!

    ReplyDelete