Friday, May 4, 2012

Dying to Self "A Daily Decision"

Luke 9:23-25New International Version (NIV)23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. 25 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self?
     On yesterday, we talked about taking our own cross and what that means to us as Christians.   Today, I want to focus on the part of the scripture that talks about taking up your cross daily.  If you notice, the scripture did not change this week.  It did not change because I could not get past it.  I believe this scripture is the key to life after we confess Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.  You never really know who you are until you lose yourself in Christ and find yourself IN Christ.
  My biggest struggles now are when I want to resurrect the “old me” and start living like I want to live.  The problem with that statement is , How I want to live.  In contrast, the happiest I have ever been in my life is when I am doing the will of God.  Yes, I am tempted to sin everyday.  I remember how sweet it was to be “knocking the boots.”   Oh yeah, I went there.  I remember how fun sin is and while your in it; it feels like the best thing on this side of heaven but then reality always shows up.  There is always a quick high and long hard crash.  Feelings of emptiness and loneliness.  Feelings of unworthiness and regret.   Depression and jealousy.  What happens when we open the door to sin, we open the door to satans world.  satan is all about depression, quilt, hopelessness, lack, loneliness, anger, resentment, bitterness, uncontentment, jealousy, hate and envy.  All the negative feelings you experience are a result of what you allow in your life.  Sin comes with a price.  I have come to really appreciate and value my peace-that  only comes from God.
One key thing to understanding all of this is; it is a daily decision.  You have to set your mind daily to overcome.  Everyday you have to build up your spirit so you can deny the cravings and yearnings of the flesh.  What is temptation?  Something your flesh wants.  How do you overcome temptation?   By denying the flesh.  How do you overcome the flesh?  By crucifying the flesh.  How do you crucify the flesh?  By controlling and monitoring your appetites and cravings and desires.  How do you control your appetites and desires?  By spending time in the  Word of God.  Listen to CD’s and messages concerning what you are dealing with.  You have to strengthen yourself against the temptation , test or trial.  How do I strengthen myself?  Daily!

There is no other way. We are to daily deny ourselves to live the victorious life as Christians.  This message is one I have to keep before me.  I have to because I know my flesh.  I know its passions and I know its desires.  Daily!

Brother Clarence

No comments:

Post a Comment