Thursday, June 9, 2016

Addicted Christians "Connections"


Romans 7

14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

                How do you overcome addictions?  I believe the first step  is to be honest enough and admit what you are truly dealing with but also to not make the mistake of defining yourself as the sin or the sin activity.  Secondly, we must look at  who and what we are connected to and who we are not connected to.  I believe that many Christians are connected to people and activities that feed their carnal nature therefore resulting in strongholds that lead to addiction and keep you bound.  How do you break free?

Matthew 17 Then Jesus answered and said, “O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him here to Me.” 18 And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him; and the child was cured from that very hour.

19 Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not cast it out?”

20 So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief;[d] for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. 21 However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.[e]

 

                The scripture text gives us the key and breaks down connections.  Jesus answered and said, “  O faithless  and perverse generation”  Faithless tell us of our unbelief. (Not being connected to God enough)  Perverse generation tells us that we are (Too connected to the world).  If we are honest, we all can think of things in the world we might be too connected to which creates strongholds that become addictions. 

                Thank God for good news!  We do not have to stay addicted.  We can be free!   Jesus tells us how to break any addiction- by prayer and fasting!  Prayer connects us to God and fasting helps us disconnect from the world ( the sin activity or addiction).  Let the Holy Spirit Guide you to the right connections in your life.  If you have to disconnect from people, places or things, your freedom is worth it.  It is your choice- to stay bound and addicted or free and living.   Be Blessed!

 

Brother Clarence


 

No comments:

Post a Comment