Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Addicted Christians


Romans 7

14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

 

                Most Christians will not  admit to being  addicted.  When you first hear the word you automatically think of drug addicts, alcoholics or sex addicts. I submit to you today that addictions can be anything that we devote attention to that when we try to stop , we continue to do. Addicted is defined:

 

adjective: addicted

1.    physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects.

o    enthusiastically devoted to a particular thing or activity.

"he's addicted to computers"

synonyms:
devoted to, obsessed with, fixated on, dedicated to, fanatical about, passionate about, enamored of, a slave to; More

 

                One thing I  like about being a Christian is we have the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit teaches us all things.  The question of thought is, ”What are you enthusiastically devoted to that you want to stop or need to stop but can’t?" The answer to that question is your addiction.  I submit we all have them..  Your Pastors, first lady, the deacons, trustees, the choir members, the ushers and the Sunday School teacher.  We all do. 

                The good news is news is there is hope and the answer has been given to us through God’s Word.  More to come…..

 

Brother Clarence

No comments:

Post a Comment